Buying Spanish property after Brexit
This article is relevant to UK citizens considering buying Spanish property after Brexit.
For UK citizens planning to move to Spain, the 31st December 2020 is a very important deadline. There are very significant advantages to moving before this date. This article informs UK citizens wanting to move to Spain of these advantages. If you are in this position we do not want you to miss this government time-limited opportunity.
If you, as a UK Citizen, buy Spanish property and register as a resident before 31st December 2020 you will:
- Receive life-long healthcare rights in Spain provided you remain resident.
- Have the right to get your UK State Pension upgraded every year for as long as you continue to live in Spain.
- Continue to receive any UK benefits you already receive. This will continue for as long as you live in Spain and meet all other eligibility requirements.
The clock is ticking fast – Start now to complete before the deadline!
If you are planning to buy a property in Spain we recommend you start now!
Let’s consider a few of the things which will eat into this currently 10.5 month period before the 2020 deadline.
- Investigate available properties and choose some suitable properties to view. Estimate 2 weeks.
- Arranged a viewing trip to Spain to look at some properties. Estimate 6 weeks
- With the help of a good agent like LVS, you should find your dream home during your first visit. If not it may take another visit. Estimate another 4 weeks.
- Then you need to go through the process of arranging funds and completing the deal. This is usually possible in less than 6 weeks but let’s allow for complications, estimate 12 weeks.
- Then you need to apply for and gain a Spanish residency. This is not a long process but let’s allow 6 weeks. There may be a big rise in applications towards the end of this year.
Adding up the above estimates, with things running well, we are at 30 weeks! Even if you start your move today in February 2020 you are looking at completion around mid-September or October!
This does not take into account factors like you:
- needing to sell a current property
- making travel and removal arrangements
- making arrangements for pets
- the quirks of Spain’s famous bureaucracy system!
Luxury Villa Sales are here to help
Luxury Villas Sales and our team of associates will do all the administrative work for you. We work only with the best people. It is a process we have been through many times so we are here to help you avoid any pitfalls.
Provided you start the process soon you will not have to worry about making the deadline. And of course, we will be here to support you both before and after your move to sunny Spain.
We care about you as a client of Luxury Villa Sales and love matching buyers with their dream homes. Contact Luxury Villa Sales today on (+34) 952 77 44 33 and we can help you get started with your dream move.
Get in touch with us today
Carin is never pushy and never oversells. Still, she is firm in her advice. Her property knowledge is great as well. Carin also responds to any questions or concerns quickly.
I find that Carin genuinely believes that the most important thing is that we find the right property for us. She genuinely puts me as the buyer first. I value that so much in an Agent.
I can highly recommend Carin as your preferred and trusted agent in the Marbella market.”
Carin has created her own marketing videos for social media to promote my house. And, LVS has advertised my estate in local magazines.
Carin has been very responsive to any of my questions and given me feedback after each viewing she has had.
I find that she has been very good at qualifying buyers before she allows them to come to view my property. She has also been determined to receive the highest offer possible for my property.
Carin and I cooperate and communicate very well. It is a pleasure to work with her. I strongly recommend Marbella LVS as the agent to list your property. I would definitely list with her and LVS again.”